Are you looking for the perfect retirement destination? If so, consider Roanoke, VA as one of your top choices. Whether you wish to be close to loved ones or to make a move to an area that offers you the best of all amenities, you can be sure that Roanoke will tick all the right boxes.
As the biggest municipality in Southwest Virginia, Roanoke had a population of approximately 315,250 as per the 2020 census. Comprising 49 different neighborhoods, there’s plenty to see and do within the area, whether you are more of an outdoor enthusiast or cannot live without your retail therapy.
Recreational Parks Around Roanoke
Below are some recreational parks you can choose to spend your time in:
- Carvins Cove Nature Reserve is the perfect spot for hiking, biking, and horseback riding. Here, you can also find a reservoir where rainwater is treated and filtered for drinking.
- Mill Mountain Park is home to Mill Mountain Zoo, the Roanoke Star, and the Roanoke Park’s Discovery Center. This park is usually reserved for private events such as weddings and parties.
Popular Arts & Entertainment Near Roanoke
When you wish to catch a show or have some free time to spare, check out the:
- Mill Mountain Theater, a professional regional theater where you can catch shows and musicals. It also offers theater education for all ages.
- Center in the Square is Roanoke’s must-visit venue for all kinds of events. Not only is the Mill Mountain Theater situated here, but you can also find the Pinball Museum, the Harrison Museum of African American Culture, the Science Museum of Western Virginia, and many more.
Recommended Dining and Shopping Outlets Near Roanoke
Is shopping and dining more your thing? When you are looking to take a break, be sure to visit:
- Valley View Mall, home to a wide range of outlets that include ALTA, JC Penney, Bath & Body Works, and more. To satisfy your cravings, head to Teppan Japan, Longhorn Steakhouse, or Carrabba’s Italian Grill.
- Towers Shopping Center offers a variety of shopping and dining outlets, including Chipotle, Great Wall Chinese Restaurant, and Dunkin’ Donuts.
Best Schools Near Roanoke
Roanoke is served by Roanoke City Public Schools. Below is a non-exhaustive list of some schools in the area:
- Fairview Elementary School
- Garden City Elementary School
- Lucy Addison Middle School
- Woodrow Wilson Middle School
- Patrick Henry High School
Why Choose TerraBella Pheasant Ridge?
If you have your mind set on Roanoke, VA as a retirement destination, you will love our retirement community that puts you within close proximity of everything you need. On-site, you will find all the services and amenities you could possibly require, including a community garden, a multifunctional games room, and a beauty salon. During your downtime, you can rely on our transportation program to get you where you need to be, whether you have a medical appointment to attend or are meeting a friend in town!