This Capital City Packs Plenty of Downhome, Southern Charm
The Palmetto State has it all: Mountains, midlands, and miles of sandy beaches, historic sites and sweeping recreational options—everything from horse racing, museums and war re-enactments to nature trails and world-class golf.
Columbia, a proud capital city, offers a unique blend of rich tradition amidst a fresh, modern feel. And while the city is a hub for government, business and innovation, it’s also a premier place for tasty cuisine, the arts and outdoors, and music and sports.
Local attractions include the University of South Carolina, where the arts and major college sports await year-round and Lake Murray, a self-described “Jewel of South Carolina,” where spectacular golf, fishing and the state’s only inland waterfall are just a few of the premier offerings.
Columbia is also home of the Town Theatre, the nation’s oldest, continuously operating theatre, as well Fort Jackson, the U.S. Army’s primary home for Basic Combat Training, and Segra Park, where the Columbia Fireflies, Class A affiliate of MLB’s New York Mets, play their home games when baseball is in full swing throughout the spring and summer months.
Throughout South Carolina, the landscape is dotted with cities and small towns that epitomize Southern charm. Steeped with tradition, stately architecture, and storied history, well-known destinations like Columbia maintain a higher profile. But others, like nearby Lexington, with their plentiful recreation and charming, hometown feel, add all the more incentive to call the Columbia area home.
Area Landmarks & Points of Interest Include:
Arts & Entertainment
- Columbia Children’s Theatre (12.5 miles)
- Columbia Museum of Art (14.5 miles)
- South Carolina State Museum (14.8 miles)
- Trustus Theatre (15.3 miles)
- The South Carolina Railroad Museum (24.0 miles)
- Sesquicentennial State Park (3.2 miles)
- The Spur at Northwoods Golf Club (7.2 miles)
- South Carolina State House (14.8 miles)
- Columbia Canal & Riverfront Park (16.0 miles)
- EdVenture Children’s Museum (16.5 miles)
- Riverbanks Zoo & Garden (17.3 miles)
- Frankie’s Fun Park (21.1 miles)
- Congaree National Park (24.4 miles)
Shopping & Dining
- Sparkleberry Square (1.6 miles)
- Columbia Place Mall (3.0 miles)
- Trenholm Plaza (11.2 miles)
- Soda City Market (11.6 miles)
- Cross Hill Market (13.5 miles)
- Devine Street (13.9 miles)
- The Vista (14.3 miles)
- Rosewood Drive (14.7 miles)
- Five Points (15.2 miles)
- Columbiana Centre (21.0 miles)
- Prisma Health Richland Hospital (13.7 miles)
Transportation & Public Transit