Are you on your way to retirement? You’ve worked hard your whole life and you should put some thought into where you’d like to retire and enjoy your later years. Nowadays, college towns are an excellent option for retirees.
Though college towns aren’t usually considered retirement destinations, they have a lot to offer to those looking for an active way of life. A college town has many campus amenities and perks such as stable housing prices, entertainment events, sports, education, and medical centers.
While many college towns are available for you to retire in, Athens, GA is one town that stands out. Why? The explanations are outlined below.
Factors Determine the Best College Towns to Retire
The following factors are used to evaluate the best college towns to choose for retirement:
- Arts and cultural
- Sport events
- Fitness center
- Outdoor activities
- Access to better learning
- Healthcare amenities
Athens has all of the above amenities (and more!) and offers the best livability at an affordable cost for retirees looking to live an active life after retirement.
Athens was Named the Best College Town in the South
Athens is consistently rated as one of the most hospitable college towns. Located on the banks of the Oconee River in America, Athens was named “The South’s Best College Town” based on a recent poll conducted in April 2022 by readers of the long-running lifestyle publication Southern Living.
Affordable Cost of Living
The cost of living plays a vital role in choosing where to retire. It is directly correlated to your mental health. You wouldn’t want to live somewhere you can’t afford and add stress to your life.
Retirees always prefer the best place with all the necessary amenities at a reasonable price. Considering this, Athens, GA offers residential homes, flats, or villas at the most affordable price in all categories ranging from basic to exclusive.
Furthermore, Athens, GA is the best option for retirees looking for a lower-than-average cost of living and favorable tax treatment. Georgia does not impose a state income tax on social security, as well as no state inheritance or estate tax, making it a good spot for retirees.
Athens Campus Traditions
- Food and Beverages: The college town of Athens is surrounded by a lot of restaurants that are functioning 24/7. In this town, you may discover practically all your favorite food. The most well-known characteristic of downtown Athens is that it has more bars per capita than any other city in the nation; perfect for fun-loving retirees!
- Educational Opportunities: Athens is the best place to retire for those who wish to continue studying even after retirement. Several institutions offer a lot of learning programs that are specially designed for retirees at a reasonable cost. Some colleges provide courses to retirees free of charge too.
- Entertainment: Colleges and universities in Athens offer their students a wide range of sports, cultural, and outdoor activities. Many of these programs are accessible to the general public, including retirees.
- Health Care Amenities: Most of Athens’ colleges and universities have connections to best-in-class hospitals. For retirees, a variety of treatments are offered at relatively affordable prices.
Ready to Join the College Town?
Now that you are well aware of the benefits and advantages that the best college town such as Athens, GA offers to retirees, it is time to make a move!