There’s no denying that a feeling of loneliness can set in as we get older. Your children may have flown the nest and your spouse may have predeceased you. Friends and family members may have moved away over the years, leaving you with little to no social support. When that’s the case, older adults may be drawn towards online dating, but keep in mind that romance scams targeting older adults are getting increasingly common.
Common Lies Told by Romance Scammers
If you have signed up to a dating site and started talking to someone you have never met before, beware of these common lies told by romance scammers. Most often, they will claim to be in the military, that they are working on an oil rig, or that they are a doctor working with an international organization. They will make “plans” to visit you, but claim that they need money for:
- Travel and visa expenses
- Medical bills
- Custom fees
- Official travel documents
- … and more!
Never met the other party in person before? Never send them money, be it through a wire transfer or as a gift card. As these are ways of receiving money quickly and anonymously, these transfers very often can’t be reversed.
Avoid Being the Target of Romance Scams
When done right, dating for older adults can be highly fulfilling and even lead to a new relationship. However, there are certain steps to take to protect yourself when trying out online dating:
- Stop all communication once the other party starts asking for money.
- If you suspect a romance scam, talk to someone you trust. Pay attention if your loved ones express concern over your new relationship.
- Search for the backstory the other party has given you to find out if there are similar scams going around. For instance, you could search “oil rig scammer” or “international doctor scammer”.
- Conduct a reverse search of the other party’s profile picture. Chances are, they are using an image that’s not their own. If the details don’t add up, cease all communication immediately.
If you suspect you have been the target of a scam or are even able to confirm your suspicions, report your case to the authorities immediately. You can also get in touch with the gift card issuing company to see if there are any chances of getting your money back.
Age Comfortably and Peacefully at TerraBella Windsor Lake
Unfortunately, too many older adults find themselves the victims of social isolation in their golden years. With little to no social support and limited socialization opportunities, these vulnerable adults become easy targets for romance scammers, who offer companionship and affection – at a price. If you are experiencing social isolation, take steps to change that by moving into an independent living community such as TerraBella Windsor Lake. Here, you can enjoy a range of stylish amenities right at your doorstep and be surrounded by friendly neighbors around the clock. To schedule a tour of our modern campus, please get in touch with us anytime.