Research shows that as you get older, the risk of suffering from a heart attack increases. However, it is not inevitable. These tips can help you reduce the risk of suffering from a heart attack and keep you healthy up to a ripe old age.
Symptoms of Heart Disease
If you start to have a feeling of numbness or a tingling sensation in your body, it might be a sign of heart disease. Here are other signs that you may have heart disease:
- You may notice having bouts of chest pain when exercising or having trouble breathing at times.
- You may experience dizziness, headaches, and unexplained cold sweats.
- You could feel more tired than usual, and start to have swelling in the ankles, legs, feet, or stomach.
- You may also have problems with daily activities and feels fatigued.
Consequences of Not Maintaining a Healthy Heart
The risk of suffering from heart disease increases for older adults. If you do not take steps to actively maintain a healthy heart, research shows that you are at a higher risk of being disabled, having limited mobility in the future, and having a poor quality in the later years. Although you might be at a higher risk for getting heart disease due to age, family history, or pre-existing health conditions, there are still factors that can bring down your risk for heart disease.
Tips to Maintaining a Healthy Heart
There are many ways to maintain a healthy heart. Here are some of them:
- Engage in a diet that is low in calories but high in minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
- Increase intake of colored vegetables and fruits, and if you want to ensure a healthy heart, take at least five servings every day.
- Limit intake of trans fats, saturated fats, and added sugars.
- If you regularly indulge in alcohol, you should limit the amount of alcohol.
- If you have a habit of skipping breakfast, try to switch to a regular routine.
- If you smoke, quit smoking now.
- Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
- Keep any chronic conditions you have under control, especially if you are suffering from high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Reduce stress by practicing mindfulness or meditation.
- Get the recommended hours of sleep for your age.
Lead a Healthy and Active Lifestyle with TerraBella Lake Norman
With these tips, you can maintain a healthy heart and enjoy your golden years. However, if you find it difficult to achieve these steps all by yourself or if you have issues even with carrying out day-to-day activities by yourself, then you should consider a move to a senior living community. With a welcoming environment at TerraBella Lake Norman, you can enjoy a wide array of amenities and activities that would help you maintain a healthy heart.
In particular, we have Sensations Dining in our community where we offer three delectable meals every day and a large variety of menu options, such as local and international cuisine. Our professional chefs create delicious meals using only the best ingredients and these nutrient-densed meals will be able to help you achieve a healthy heart!