Caring for your loved ones can get tiring and stressful. On top of that, it can be emotionally draining to see your loved one’s health declining. Stress can decrease the quality of life for your loved ones and yourself. However, there is a way to relieve some of this stress.
Aromatherapy is a simple yet effective non-drug stress treatment that uses scent to help individuals to enhance their health and well-being. Here are some benefits of aromatherapy for seniors.
How Scents Relieve Stress
Smells can evoke memories and alter the neural system of the body through the olfactory nerve. The olfactory nerve engages the portions of the brain that control emotions, memory, and mood as well as the elements of the nervous system that control fight-or-flight and relaxation responses.
This is one of the main reasons why aromas can create physical reactions in us.
Lavender essential oil is so potent that it has been scientifically proven to not only aid in the healing of burns but can also have a relaxing effect that is similar to some anti-anxiety medication.
Benefits of Aromatherapy
Aside from relieving stress, there are many other benefits of aromatherapy, including:
- Improved sleep
- Better digestion
- Reduced depression and anxiety
- Boost immunity
Aromatherapy can also help your loved ones with Alzheimer’s or dementia lessen their challenging behaviors induced by worry or discomfort.
How to Use Aromatherapy at Home
Aromatherapy is simple to implement. Everyone has their unique fragrance preferences, so you should start by picking a few scents that both you and your loved ones would like. Then try it with different environments until you find which works best. Some popular scents to calm and relieve stress are:
You should not limit yourself to this list as there are many other scents to choose from. Some common ways to use these essential oils are through:
- Bath Oils: Creating a spa-like atmosphere is a great method to persuade your loved ones to bathe. It’s also a terrific way to relax after a hard day of caring for others.
- Room Diffusers: Diffusers aid in the diffusion of essential oil scents throughout an area. Simpler versions use reeds, while some resemble scented humidifiers. However, you should not put essential oils in a normal humidifier as it will clog.
- Scented Lotion or Candles: The most prevalent kinds of aromatherapy are lotions and candles, which can be obtained practically anyplace, from department stores to drugstores.
- Pillow Spray: Spraying a faint smell such as lavender on the pillows or the sheets can help people relax and fall asleep more easily.
- Sachets: These perfumed bags are ideal for placing next to a favorite chair or on a bedside table. They’re also quite easy to prepare at home.
Experience Person-Centered Senior Living at Terrabella Windsor Lake
At Terrabella Windsor Lake, we provide a variety of senior living options for our residents such as Active Independent Living, which includes several unique and informative health and fitness activities. Additionally, you can enjoy exclusive senior living programs and high-quality amenities that are sure to leave you satisfied. To find out more, contact us today!