Respite care is a type of short-term substitute care that offers caregivers brief relief. For caretakers who have numerous responsibilities to juggle, some of which are extremely stressful, these small getaways from the chores of caregiving can be critical to sustaining a positive mindset. Longer-term respite options are available, ranging from a few weeks to a month.
The purpose of respite care, regardless of how long it lasts, is to provide caretakers a break so they may focus on themselves and their duties. Some caretakers seek respite to work outside the home or complete personal duties and errands. Here is what to look for in respite care short-term stay in Lawrence, GA.
Respite Care Services
Respite care providers provide a variety of services that can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each client. There are respite care providers who can give the level of care that an aging adult requires, whether it is medication support or just a little supervision and companionship. The following are some of the services provided by respite care providers:
- Supervision and Companionship: If your loved ones are highly functional but you are concerned about leaving them alone, respite care can offer companionship and supervision.
- Daily Living Activities: Most respite care providers help with daily living activities as a regular service such as bathing and dressing.
- Basic Medical Care: Most respite care providers are trained to provide basic medical care, such as wound care and prescription help. If your loved one demands advanced medical attention, consult a doctor who has completed additional training.
- Household Tasks: Respite care professionals can perform basic domestic duties such as laundry and grocery shopping.
How To Choose a Respite Care Provider
Once you have decided to try respite care, you will need to start looking for a provider. There are a few ways to find respite care providers:
- Friends and Family: If your loved one won’t have any significant medical issues and only needs someone to keep an eye on them, friends or family members may be able to provide respite care.
- Agency: A home care organization can help you locate a respite care provider. Agencies make the process easier by connecting you with providers who have the skills you require and performing background and licensing checks on your behalf.
- Individual Provider: You can find a respite care provider on your own. You will save money by skipping agency costs, but you will be responsible for things like background checks.
When you are searching for a provider, you should consider a few things such as whether they have the necessary license and skills, any references from previous families as well as how reliable and prompt they are.
Choose Senior Living at Discovery Village At Sugarloaf
If you are looking for exceptional senior living, why not choose our retirement community? We have a variety of senior living options, from Independent Living to Memory Care. As a resident, you can get unrestricted access to our resort-style amenities and enjoy senior living programs. For more information, contact us today!